The Science Times reports on those recovering from COVID-19:

“Some patients who recovered from the coronavirus are reportedly experiencing 20%-30% less lung function. The Hong Kong Hospital authorities have found that while observing the first batch of patients who recovered from the disease.

“There were about 12 patients that first recovered from the novel coronavirus and two to three of them are unable to function as they had before getting infected, said Dr. Owen Tsang Tak-yin a medical doctor of the Infectious Disease Center at Princess Margaret Hospital in Kwai Chung.

Those recovered patients are experiencing shortness of breath when they walk a bit more quickly. Tsang suggested some cardiovascular activities that can help improve lung capacity, like swimming. 

“Lung scans of the other nine people suggest that they are suffering from organ damage. But according to him, it had yet to be determined whether they will also suffer the hardening of lung tissues or the pulmonary fibrosis which will prevent the lung to function properly.

“Although it is too early yet to establish the long-term effects of COVID-19, some seemingly frosted glass or “ground glass” in the organs of those nine patients were found during the CT scan conducted on them. The Business Insider’s Aria Bendrix reported that this is a phenomenon wherein fluid builds up in the lungs and can be seen as white patches.

“As of March 16, there are already 169,935 infected cases of COVID-19. 92% of 77,776 have already recovered and discharged, while about 8% or 6,523 are the numbers of deaths. Most of the cases are still considered serious or in critical condition with 7% or 5,923, and the rest 93% or 79, 713 people have a mild condition. This means that among these infected people, a greater percentage will recover than those who will not.”

Read more at The Science Times.