May 23, 2007—The US ultrasound market hit an all-time high in 2006, hitting $1.33 billion and accounting for 30% of the worldwide market, says a new report from Klein Biomedical Consultants Inc, New York, NY. The cardiology segment of the market surpassed total radiology ultrasound revenues for the first time.

"While cardiology ultrasound product revenues grew over 11%, the other three traditional markets—radiology, OB/GYN and vascular surgery—showed little, if any, change," said Harvey Klein, PhD, president of KBC. "Traditional markets accounted for 60% of total product sales growth in 2006 while emerging markets contributed the remaining 40%."

Leaders in the overall market, including upgrades, were Philips Medical Systems, Andover, Mass, GE Healthcare, Waukesha, Wis, Siemens Medical Solutions, Malvern, Pa, and SonoSite Inc, Bothell, Wash. The top-selling product in the US market in 2006 was the Philips iE33 echocardiography system.

—Cat Vasko